Heh. I just copy in my head. Have pretty much since the beginning. The only
time I've ever written down anything during cw q's has been 1) traffic handling
and 2) logging. When I remember to, lately, yes, I've slipped into lazy habits.
With this in mind, I am still baffled when I hear people, especially old school
military ops, who say they can't copy code unless they write it down or type on
a typewriter. The human brain is a strange beast, and no mistake.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On Jun 29, 2011, at 10:13 PM, Dale Putnam wrote:

> I learned with a straight key and a stick. It took me about half of one QSO
> to figure out swapping a pencil back and forth, along with throwing the t-r
> switch, and the mute switch, adjusting the tx, then keying the key, and
> reversing all that, pretty near made it necessary to use my off hand for the
> key... keeping the pencil corralled was a good thing. So when paddles came
> along, it was pretty near easy to move to a nice paddle, keyer, and still
> keep the pencil corralled. It wasn't until just a couple years ago that I had
> the fun of playing with a Halli T-O keyer... and a single lever Vibroplex.
> Remember when that was THE setup? Well.. I rather had a tussle with it, so am
> back with the paddles now, with 8 on the desk now. And one Junkers straight
> key. Still keeping the pencil or keyboard in my left hand.It is a lot easier
> to write with my left hand and key with the right, although I can do it the
> other way, for those few times that someone has the paddles backwards for me.
 Bu