Al,

I believe the Grade 7 educational level is "standard" for tech writing.
I recall that when I was at IBM evaluating tech documents, that was the
level they were written for.  It seems as though a technician educated
in his field is not expected to be able to comprehend the English
language beyond the 7th grade level.  Doesn't that speak wonders for the
goals of our education system!!

In my engineering career, I have struggled with engineering graduates
who could not even form a sentence with proper capitalization and
punctuation and spacing (two spaces after a period, etc.).

I recall a grumpy old college professor from my engineering curriculum
who taught a course in what was called "Western Civilization" - which
was a combination of history, English composition, reading and writing
skills.  That bold professor had the audacity to state that his course
was the most important in our engineering studies - we laughed then, but
it turned out that he was correct.  An engineer who cannot communicate
effectively through the written word, is just not effective in his task,
and the rest of the knowledge is for naught.

73,
Don W3FPR