Ed,

Listening on a TH-D72 on about 137MHz, yes the noise from the P3 is indeed
loud.  However, by the time I have more than  a metre or so separation
between the P3 and the handie, the noise drops below the handie's squelch
threshold, so for me at least, it's a very localised phenomenon.
 The interference is also present on 2m, but would certainly be inaudible
with an antenna placed well outside of the shack.

73 Stephen G4SJP