Mike,

If the K3 is not going into transmit, do you have the VOX set on for
AFSK-A mode?  If you chose not to do that, you will have to use the "one
transistor circuit" from a serial port to activate the K3 PTT.

There are audio level controls in the computer too - right click on the
speaker icon (assuming it is displayed) to open them, otherwise go to
the Control Panel to adjust them.  Set the Line-out level to about 2/3
of full slider.  Be sure the Line Out is not muted.

Yes, the Mic Sel setting of Line-in is what I was referring to.