That certainly works as thousands of Hams over the years will attest. However
with two equal length wires you are throwing away 3 dB - 1/2 of the power - in
that wire on the ground. So I try to raise both wires, keeping the angle
between them at least 90 degrees for as much of the run as possible.

But, in a practical installation, a 3 dB difference is seldom noticeable on the
air on HF.

When I'm using one end fed wire, with a wire on the ground, I try to make the
one in the air as close to a half-wave as the tuner can handle. Doing that can
reduce the loss in the ground wire to less than 0.5 dB.

Ron AC7AC