You're not alone -- this is a common tough decision.

I went through this exercise, trying both the KAF2 and the KDSP2, including
side by side comparisons between them. Sounds like you already found your
answer, but if there's any remaining uncertainty I'll be glad to go into
detail offline (will have to dig up some old emails on this).

In short, I found that:

The differences in performance are small.

The differences in sound quality are medium.

The differences in user interface and complexity are big. The KDSP2 is a
highly tweakable/configurable option.

I think that for a CW-only op, the KAF2 is the way to go, and that for an op
that also does SSB, data, DX and contesting, the KDSP2 is the way to go.

NOTE:  Be sure to re-adjust your KAF2 if you change your K2's sidetone
frequency.

After owning both, I found the KAF2 much more compatible with my needs (I
prefer simplicity and CW only).

I would not recommend basing your decision solely on performance around the
reception of a signal (as in ide by side comparison).  I think the
differences are just too small.  Think more about your operating philosophy
and your needs (modes operated).

Also, if you plan to exploit the KDSP2's expandability by writing custom DSP
code, be prepared to invest a fair amount of time and effort (and some dev
tools). I was eager to go that route but ended up deciding against it. I
think Elecraft ended up doing most of that good work for us. Definitely
would be a fun exercise and learning experience, but be prepared to invest
some effort.

73,
--Andrew, NV1B