"I have one question at this point--when I switch my K3 to 30 meters the amp
recognizes that fact, and displays that band.  However, there is no
indication that the amp works on 30 meters, and there is not an optional
band switch for 30 meters--probably, at a minimum, because that band is
limited to 200 watts.  I haven't even tapped the key on that band with the
amp on.  So, my question is whether or not the amp is "30 meters capable",
even though it would probably violate the power limitation rule."

I'm not sure what you are saying here.  There is a 10.1MHz switch on the
front of the KPA500.  The amplifier puts out full power on 30 meters (even
on 60 meters for that matter!!).  However, I use the K3 per-band power
setting to set the amp output for 200 watts maximum on 30 meters.

That K3 per-band power setting when the KPA500 is on-line is REALLY nice!!

Phil - AD5X