The FT-736R was well liked by satellite and weak-signal fans,
alike.  The Mutek conversion of the receiver fixed all those issues
making it a superb radio for its time.  In 1998 I bought its
successor, the FT-847.  It added HF to 6m/2m/70cm making possible
almost one radio ham shack (and this was copied by many other radios).

But one of the attractions of the 736 was the band module concept
that permitted one to taylor-make their radio.  Actually, I see this
approach with Elecraft and my K3 was built in that fashion.

Actually I am surprised at the introduction of the Icom-9100, since
amateur satellite activity has taken a dive with the lack of
high-orbiting linear-passband "birds".  Most of what is available
today uses FM single channel technology so one need not invest in a
radio like the 736 (with a few exceptions).  I guess Icom felt a need
to compete in the HF-light market.

I have made a major decision to move over to using the K3 with adding
VHF/UHF transverters starting two years ago.  I am looking to add 222
and 432 to make the conversion complete (with the exception of
900-MHz).  As soon as I receive info from DEMI on availability and
delivery times, I will post my FT-847 for sale on e-bay.

It is too bad that cross-band full-duplex cannot be supported in the
K3/KRX3 combo.  I do have an idea that might work.  It would entail
adding a receiver on the 1st IF or the KRX3 and using the Aux antenna
input connected to a transverter for receiving satellite downlinks.
If the KRX3 1st IF is not defeated when the main K3 is transmitting
it will work in duplex.  I propose to use my SDR-IQ this way.  For
satellite uplink/downlink tuning, it will probably require a computer
interface for tuning.  What firmware mods would be required for the
K3 - is the question?  VFO-A and B need to be controlled separately
and ideally VFO-A can be tuned while transmitting (but not entirely
necessary).  Tracking sw exists to generate commands for dual Rx /Tx tuning.

A K4, Tayored after the 736 module concept covering 6m-23cm with all
the bells of the K3 would find a large following in the weak-signal
VHF+ crowd.  That crowd includes satellite, tropo-scatter Dxing,
meteor scatter, and eme.  It could be based on a standard 28-32 MHz
IF radio or a 50-54 MHz IF. The existing Elecraft transverters use 28-MHz.

So my K3/10 is becoming the K4 (in effect): 50/144/222*/432*/1296.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45