I've used a 1.4 watt panel with a ten NiMH AA cell pack with the K1 with great
success. On the other hand, with the KX1 on a backpack trip of a week or more
where weight is critcal, I run it on a set of AA lithium throwaways, and
carry a spare set. Both sets together weigh the same as a single set of NiMH,
and will run the rig for several weeks- in fact I've never run the first set
down on a trip. And I don't need to carry a solar panel.

For a non-wilderness situation, car camping or the like, I use the above NiMH
pack and solar panel to save the expense of the lithium cells.

72,
Bruce
N7CEE