From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Mark Stennett
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:14 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] split pileup and listening was Pileups and
KPA500/ST0R

I have used this split technique quite successfully and the K3 makes it
a breeze.

The first secret is to wear your headphones. Put the K3 in split and you
will hear the main receiver in your left ear while the right ear now has
the sub receiver. Set up your filters to your liking.

Listen on the main receiver and transmit on the sub receiver. Park the
main receiver on the DX and lock the dial so you don't accidentally bump
it. Slowly tune the sub receiver up the dial from the DX until you start
to hear the other stations the DX is working. Determine if there is a
pattern by continuing to listen - is the DX working stations further up
the dial after each contact? Down the dial? Listening on the same
frequency call after call? Read the mail, get familiar with his style.

The second secret is timing. To work the DX through the pileup you have
to put your signal where the DX is listening at that moment. By figuring
out his operating style you have a distinct advantage over most of those
ops who are blindly calling. Because of the pileup the DX likely has his
receiver running narrow. Zero beat your transmit VFO with the guy he is
working and drop your call as soon as he is finished. If the DX is
moving up the dial after each contact, move your VFO slightly above that
guy and make your call. Try to anticipate where the DX will be listening
next.

While I have not tried for ST0R yet I have broken through many pileups
on my first  or second call, using the KPA500, a vertical dipole on CW
and this technique.

73 de na6m