I have a K2/100 and KAT100, and do remote control using the RS-232 port
using a cable I made over a year as per the instructions in the KAT100
manual.  The remote control has been working successfully since June of 2010
(frequency, mode, power, filter, tune, split, and a couple of other things).

I didn't use the rig for about a week and when I did I found that the remote
control is no longer working.  No change in computer.  No change in
software.  No change in radio.  No change in cable.  The shack did get very
hot during that week when we had an especially bad heatwave here in the
Northeast (yeah, yeah, I know, nothing compared with what you folks are
dealing with in the South and Midwest).

I've checked the individual wire runs in the cable with an ohmmeter and
cannot find any problems with it.  The KAT100 is working properly and K2/100
itself seems to be working properly (at any rate, I've had some good QSOs
with it).  I've tried the remote control with the KAT100 disconnected, but
no joy.

I tried the Serial Interface Test described on page 61 of the KPA100 manual.
 The test message from the K2 to the computer ('FA00014020000') came through
just fine.  However, the message from the computer to the K2 did not get a
response ('SW01;').   I tried it with different computers (Vista, XP) and
with different serial-to-usb adapters, but get the same results each time.

Can anyone suggest a next step?

Thanks,

Jon
WB2RYV (ex-KB1QBZ)