Jon,

How did you try to do the remote control with the KPA100?  Unless you
had a KIO2 to install, there is no AUX IO port on the base K2.

Do you have an oscilloscope?  If not, do you have a source of -9 to -12
volts and a DMM?  A 9 volt battery and some clip leads will do the job.

Tell me what you have and I can tell you how to set it up to test the
RS-232 to TTL conversion IC.  The fact that it works from the K2 to the
computer is helpful and eliminates half the testing.

73,
Don W3FPR