I don't chime in on many of these threads, but this one got me thinking. I was
first licensed as a Novice in 1951. As a General in 1952. I worked mostly 10
meters with a Harvey Wells TBS-50d. That had an 807 in the final, so ran 50
watts on AM. So that's about what a K2 runs on SSB. 12 watts on one sideband! I
worked the world. Well, the world was smaller then, a lot fewer Hams and I
worked mostly a north south path. So my world was central and south America.
Once a VK or ZL.  Every day I'd come home from school, turn on the rig and talk
to DX stations. NOW if we can just get 10 meters to be wide open! Sunspot count
is 2128 today. There's hope yet.
73, Kurt, W7QHD