Rick,

Presuming that you've already taken Don's customary advice (check all solder
joints and re-heat anything that looks suspicious) in the vicinity of the
1st crystal filter, I would verify that one of the other crystals (X1
through X4) hasn't been inadvertently placed into one of the slots for X7
through X11 (the 1st variable bandwidth filter) or X5/X6 (the post-IF amp
filter), and I would carefully check the varactors D29 through D34 to be
sure they're the correct diodes.

If these checks don't reveal anything amiss, I would repeat the BFO Test and
BFO Alignment (more often referred to as CAL FIL) from the Part II Alignment
and Test procedures to be sure that your BFO tuning range and BFO frequency
settings for the various filters FL1 through FL4 haven't effectively put the
down-converted RF signal on the skirts of the 1st crystal filter's passband.
Since you have an external RF signal source, you could use Spectrogram to
check the position of a known input frequency at the antenna when it's mixed
down to the audio range -- if you don't see the spike in the audio spectrum
inside the filter's response passband, that's a good indication of the BFO
frequency being incorrectly set. All of this presumes that you have an
independent means (i.e., good external counter) to check the frequency of
the RF input signal and that you observe a peak in the audio response when
the K2 frequency display matches the RF input frequency (CW mode, not USB or
LSB).

Don may have other suggestions based on his extensive knowledge of common K2
maladies.

73,
Mike, K8CN