Shane,

It is my firm belief that the audio response should be controlled by the
transceiver, and not by the headphones or speakers (which should be
wide-range).

The more recent K3s (SN 3626 and above) contain the upgraded DSP board
which has the audio Low Pass filter to roll off the AF response above 4
kHz installed.

If you have an earlier K3, you can do the DSP board swap, or install the
Low Pass Filter board to your existing K3 DSP board.

You will find less expensive alternatives to the Heil headset in
computer headsets and in the much acclaimed (here on this reflector)
Yamaha CM500. I just purchased the CM500 from Sweetwater Sound for
$29.95 With free shipping) - it was a demo unit at half the normal
price. Heil products are overpriced for the function provided IMHO.

73,
Don W3FPR