Ed,

Not enough information, so I am forced to make assumptions.
Are you using the RF probe to measure the RF voltage across the dummy
load?  If so, 6 volts yields 0.72 watts as you stated, but if you have
the Elecraft DL1 and measure 6 volts, the power is 1.49 watts.

Adjust R1 to agree with the external power reading.

If you continue to see extreme fluctuation in the power displayed by the
K2, you may want to change the value of R98 on the bottom of the RF
board.  See http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/Power_Control_Mod.html for the
"rest of the story".

73,
Don W3FPR