Personally, I don't see how that suggestion saves anyone anything.  The
great majority of those who order anything in kit or modular form are
going to want a printed manual, and I'd bet that at least half of any
buyer of an assembled item is going to want one as well, especially if
it is free.  So all you get is a small reduction in printed manuals at
the cost of more hassle and opportunity for error on the part of
Elecraft.  From a purely manufacturing point of view, variability and
the need for a decision (do I send a manual with this order or don't I?)
represent complexity and opportunity for error.  How happy are folks who
wanted a manual going to be when their item arrives without it by
mistake?  What is it going to cost Elecraft to expedite the shipment of one?

Eliminating paper completely may or may not be a bad thing depending
upon the situation, but if you can't do it completely it is rarely even
a good thing.

73,
Dave   AB7E