While "green is good", I do not think an assembly or operator's manual
in electronic form is practical.
It would only result in most owners printing the manual locally, and
that nullifies the overall "greenness".

It is more costly for individuals to print locally than for the manual
to be printed in bulk, so the overall global cost would be increased
even if a few dollars could be saved on the kit price.

Have you ever tried to put checkmarks into an electronic manual on a
computer screen?  I shudder at the thought of following a long list of
resistors or capacitors to be inserted on a computer display.  It is
just too easy to lose your place - take a look at the K2 assembly if you
do not know about the lists I refer to.

How about working your way through a multipage schematic on a computer
display during troubleshooting?  Printed pages are a great help in those
instances.

I agree that in many instances .pdf manual have advantages, especially
for archiving, but Elecraft already makes those available for download.

73,
Don W3FPR