> I received a couple of emails asking how the app would
> connect to the radio.. There are several options. WiFi/Serial
> and Ethernet/Serial adapters are available that could provide
> the serial communication with the rig.

Why don't use Bluetooth? I developed a small BT module that connects
directly to the RS-232 port of the K3 (and is available as a low cost kit
from the German FUNKAMATEUR magazine). Works like a charm controlling the
K3's serial interface, I use it all the time for rig control during
contests, etc.

> It could also be done with a helper app. I have developed a small
> "serial server" that runs on a PC or Mac connected to the radio.
> The iPad app connects to the helper app over the network. The
> helper app simply forwards commands from the iPad app to the
> radio, and forwards responses from the radio to the app. It works
> well and costs nothing. Since most folks already have computers
> attached to their rigs, this would be the most popular option - I expect.

Why would somebody want to control the radio from an iPhone or iPad with a
PC or Mac connected to the radio? If I need to rely on a PC/Mac for the
radio interconnection anyway isn't it easier to use this for rig control
directly then? ;-)) Bigger screen, more comfortable, etc.

To my mind a control app for a PDA (no matter what OS and/or manufacturer)
only makes sense if you can use it "real portable" meaning no dependencies
to other hardware or a network, just a simple 1:1 connection between PDA and
radio. But that's just my personal opinion. ;-))

73, Olli - DH8BQA