When I lived in the SF Bay area I carried a 2-meter FM HT that I could use
to access several repeaters in the area running 100 mW into a 5/8 wave
mag-mount on the car. One of my favorite bits of fun with it was that
whenever I was on top of Mount Diablo to service a commercial repeater, I'd
take a few minutes to listen on the HT. I often worked mobiles in
Sacramento, San Francisco, or San Jose, all between 40 and 60 miles away,
running 100 mW, and often got "full quieting" reports! They were always
astonished at the simplex signal strength, especially since most were
running similar antennas and some were using rubber duckies in their cars.

And that was with FM, which is clearly not the best weak-signal mode by a
long shot! I would guess that places like 3800 foot Mt. Diablo would be
ideal to run a KX3 portable.

73,

Ron AC7AC