Jessie Oberreuter wrote:

> I, too, am looking forward to having a single rig that I can use for
> HF-2m field ops, and would end up giving up the ATU for 2m.

I could easily do without two-meter capability on the KX3.  About all I
(rarely) use VHF or UHF for is FM mode, and I like to be able to use that
independent of what the HF rig is doing.  In any event, I'd still need
to carry an HT like the extremely small Yaesu VX-3R to have both two-meter,
70-cm, weather, and public service frequencies covered.

> I'd rather give up the internal batteries and have both 2m and an HF ATU.

I see internal batteries in anything like a K1, KX1, or KX3 as having nothing
but novelty value.  (I removed the KBT1 from my K1 after a year of use.)  In
something like the unfortunate Yaesu FT-817, it's the height of foolishness.
Any real period of operation will require at least an external 4 AH SLA battery.
I'd be *very* happy if no internal KX3 space was wasted accomodating internal
batteries.  Put other options in the vacated space.

Mike / KK5F