To Jim K4ZM, Don W3FPR, Rolf  0H6KXL & Martin Renardy,

Thanks for all your advice on my excessive current consumption on my K2.
I did eventually find that I had a fault on the Control board in the 8 V
Switching circuitry. The FET Q3 had failed and was turning on the 8 volt supply
via Q1 to the Transmit side of the circuitry at the same time that the 8 volt
to the Receive side was on. I think I saw a tiny wisp of a wire lodged in
between the legs of the FET Q3 on the component side of the board. It looked
like the Gate of the FET had been grounded to the Source.
After replacing the FET the current dropped back to 200 mA which is what you
all suggest it should be and the TX 8 volt supply was turned off.
I'm not sure where the excess current was going in the fault condition but it
is normal now.
It seems that you can't examine your work enough before powering up.

Regards Colin
m1bnw