In today's ever more crowded circuits; I find that during installation of a
component, I should either hold the end of the wire to be cut or put a
finger on it, so that it will not "fly" into some part of the circuit and
short something.  It is safer than nipping ends of wires with the cutters
without thought to a wire bit flying into the eye, or hand, or as in this
case, between two leads of an active component.

At the end of construction, it is good to hold the board upside down and end
down and tap it to dislodge any stray bits of wire.

-Stuart
K5KVH