Subject: [Elecraft] K1: RF gain and RIT controls

| I'm finally going to open the box I've had for 2 years and build a K1 so I'll
| have a rig for the Australian outback next month! Before I start, a couple of
| questions:
|
| 1. Has anyone come up with a good RF gain control, aka AGC threshold control?
| Please, no lectures about how the K1 doesn't need it, or how the RF
| attenuator works great.

    I've NEVER yet had a need for an RF gain control in the hottest most crowded
contest!  I VERY rarely use the attenuator in fact.

| 2. In searching the archives, I found hundreds of posts about the RIT range.
| Too many to sort through. Is the mod in the manual the best and simplist for
| reducing the RIT range, or was there a definitive posting of a better one?
| While I'm at it, is there a drop-in replacement for the RIT control that has
| center detent?

    PLEASE LET EVERYONE KNOW with a post if you find a pot with a center
detent that will drop in the K1's front panel board!  I find the RIT VERY touchy
in it's present form.  I would really like to limit it to 1.5-2 khz MAX each
side of center,
plus have a reliable "notch" to come back to for a center reference.  T'would be
very nice.
    Still in spite of this, best QRP rig I've ever had!

73,
Sandy W5TVW