Joe,

What you say is partially correct (it all depends on your definition of
"dead").  WinXP is still supported for security updates from Microsoft.
Although, MS will no longer answer specific questions relating to WinXP,
they are still providing "support" in the form of security updates.

While I can agree that official support for a particular OS may be
important, to some hams who want to run "legacy" applications, that is
not possible with Win7 because it prevents applications from storing
into their application folder - instead, insist that that data be stored
into each users Documents and Settings folder.

Which is better - it all depends on what you want to do.  If the author
for the application that you wish to use is "worth his salt", then the
most recent download of that application will work on Win7 - and will
likely run on WinXP (there may be exceptions).  But if the application
author has not been keeping up with updates in the MS OS migration
)"legacy applications"), those applications may work under WinXP and
fail under Win7.

So each user must make a choice of the OS to be used.  Make that choice
based on your need for legacy applications - if you have no need for
those, then Win7 is the clear winner.  I stick with WinXP for reasons
unrelated to this discussion.

73,
Don W3FPR