Nidge,

I don't have the K2 anymore, but still have the battery.  It's a Yuasa
NP2.3-12, and, as you say, it's really intended for standby use.  I had a
long chat with a fellow from the UK company I bought it from (sorry, I
can't remember the details), and he told me that he was using the same
battery in a relatively deep cycle application with no ill effects on
storage capacity.  And that indeed, is what I have found here.  That's not
to say that a battery designed for deep cycle applications wouldn't be
better, but at what price?  My SLA here has been hit hard on many occasions
and is still working well after 3 years of use.  Obviously if you compare
it with a battery of a greater capacity, then it won't last quite so long.
 I suppose it just depends upon how critical  it is that you don't run out
of juice.

73, Stephen G4SJP