> I would suggest moving the new tuner back into your shack where you can
> try
> doing a tune with your rig and be able to see what the tuner is actually
> doing.

A few well-conducted measurements are worth a thousand expert opinions.  As
suggested by Rich, N5ZC, he should consider placement of an ATU at the base
of the vertical for the reasons cited by Owen, VK1OD:

http://vk1od.net/antenna/multibandunloadedvertical/

VK1OD first examined systematic loss of a 33 ft vertical where the ATU is at
the transmitter (e.g., within the K3).  See Fig. 1 & 2.  To increase
multiband radiation resistance, he then modeled the popular 43 vertical with
an ATU moved to the antenna's base.  See Fig. 5.  The system loss difference
is huge across the HF spectrum.

Phil, AD5X has also analyzed the 43 footer for use on 160m/80m.  His method
seems to be effective for those bands.

I'm no fan of 43 ft verticals, but absent using open line to the antenna's
base, feeding low-loss coax to an ATU located at the vertical's base is the
only way to ensure good system efficiency.  Same with a 31-33 ft vertical if
it was going to be used for multiband operation.

Paul, W9AC