Charlie,

It is likely that you ddid not have the battery fully charged.  What was the
voltage out of your power supply - a standard 13.8 volt supply will not
adequately charge the battery (see the Elecraft internal battery manual).

Before you give up on the battery, try putting a 14.3 volt power supply on
the K2 and let the battery charge up for several days, even a week.  If the
battery is at full charge, you should see a bqttery terminal voltage of 13.8
volts (float voltage) while the battery is connected to the power supply -
it will drop a bit after removing the power supply, but not more than a
volt.  Charge it until that condition comes valid.  After that, you can
evaluate the discharge cycle and compare with the Panasonic typical
performance data for that battery.  If the discharge cycle on your battery
is significantly shorter than normal, you may want to replace it - examine
your needs (portable operation duration, etc.) and decide if the current
battery will suffice for your needs.

73,
Don W3FPR