Google "no solder electronic kits" without the quotes.  There are a lot.

I learned to solder at 7 using one of those woodburning pencils.  Our
neighbor taught his son and me, so I wouldn't sell your son short on
this.  If he's asked, he may be way ahead of you already.  In those days
you could wrap the leads around terminal strips and then solder them,
often my projects would work without soldering.  Not all my projects
worked, solder or no, however.

There are PCB kits available that require solder, but the pads are well
spaced and they're well marked.  Getting the right parts in the holes
and the diodes in the right way is probably the most challenging aspect.
  Of course, if Dad is advising, all will go well :-)

Good luck to your son, and good luck to you too, it looks like you'll be
sharing your rig in the future.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org