Guys,

How are we defining smart meters?  There appear to be a class which only
can be read remotely.   Then there appears to be a class which have the
ability to control various house heavy current devices (e.g. heat
pumps).  For all I know the may be only one meter with the ability to
connect "smart grid" controls.

I'd guess that these two might have different RFI generating properties
after the connections to the various devices being controlled is made.
I think of the complaints posted on various reflectors complaining about
the RFI produced by new washing machines and heat pumps.

The new meter installed here by Progress Energy (remote reading only
implemented). They are trying to get people to sign up for the ones
which control the heat pump.  They are offering customers a measily
$25/year credit for connecting the heat pump control option.  Apparently
the sign up rate for this has been underwhelming.  I have not signed up
for our all electric house. We currently have no time of day rates for
consumers.

This quote related to PG&E smart meter backlash is consistent with my
thinking.

  >The only real way for these meters to reduce the overall cost of
electricity is to make it higher priced during times when you need it -
so your showers, your computer, the stay at home moms, the elderly, the
unemployed will all pay more for using electricity during the day time.
There is no "additional cost" associated with not having a smart meter.
(unless you are assuming mandatory curtailments of the availability of
electricity through these meters). -- by the way, who do you suppose
pays for the costs of electricity while you all are enjoying smart
meters at home -- your employer/a business who cannot reduce usage very
much during the day (that's when you are working, using the employer's
electricity and reading stuff like this online) and therefore pays
higher rates. I am not opposed to smart meters but to suggest that some
who don't want them will be penalized is totally wrong. Smart meters
represent a shift of risk to the businesses and to the stay at home
folks - your "savings" are on the backs of entities who are stuck paying
the higher rates and cannot reduce consumption beyond a certain point.
Everyone wants to support the concept but few have considered the social
and economic implications - something that this publication could do --
they are great for the utilities but the benefits for the public are
still unknown.

PG&E wants the consumer to pay about $200/year to opt out of a smart meter.

Ten California counties have even outlawed them.

http://ppjg.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/banning-smart-meters/

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 11/29/2011 13:53, John Ragle wrote:
> At risk of prolonging this thread, I also live in a very quiet
> location. The "smart meter" is about 20 feet from the shack (60 feet
> from nearest antenna), has been there for at least 10 years, and
> there is not a trace of RFI from it that I recognize as such.
>
> John Ragle -- W1ZI
>
> =====
>
> On 11/29/2011 8:45 AM, Bill W4ZV wrote:
>> Mike Rodgers wrote
>>> Hi Gang, my utility is about to roll out smart meters and it
>>> occured to me will it generate rf on hf? It will be 6' from
>>> shack. Anyone pulling their hair out over smart meters? I hope
>>> not.
>>>
>> Not a trace at my very quiet location...and I have good antennas on
>> both 160 and 10.  Hope it's the same for you!
>>
>> 73,  Bill

>> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/ot-rf-from-smart-meters-tp7041835p7042895.html

>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html