I have 'smart' electric and gas meters from PG&E. The only HF RFI I've ever
detected is a
very weak 'beep' from the gas meter every second or so on 1820 kHz which was
picked up by
an amplified receiving antenna a few feet away. I've since moved the antenna to
about 20'
away for other reasons and now I don't hear it.

I can't vouch for the meters' intelligence, but at least they are quiet!

On 11/28/2011 10:30 PM, Mike Rodgers wrote:
> Hi Gang, my utility is about to roll out smart meters and it occured to me
> will it generate rf on hf? It will be 6' from shack. Anyone pulling their
> hair out over smart meters? I hope not.
>
> 73
> Mike R
>
> Sent from my spy ring