Ken,

Actually, the feedpoint impedance for a half wave center fed dipole is
70 ohms if it is "in the clear".  The proximity to earth and other
physical objects will lower that impedance.  For antennas typically used
at HF, yes, the feedpoint impedance will be closer to 50 ohms than the
ideal of 70 ohms.

73,
Don W3FPR