There's a simple way to look at this that requires no high-level math or
complicated analysis.
               _________    _________
      I1 -->  |         |  |         | I3 -->
      --------|         |--|         |-------
Transmitter   |  BALUN  |  |  TUNER  |    Antenna
      --------|         |--|         |-------
      I2 -->  |_________|  |_________| I4 -->

The purpose of the balun is to eliminate the common-mode current.  The
CM current is the NET current, that is, I1 + I2 at the input and I3 + I4
at the output.  The balun does not store electrons, so it must be that:

    Input common-mode current = output common-mode current.

That is true for both the balun and the tuner.  No matter whether the
balun is on the transmitter or antenna side of the tuner it does an
equally good (or bad) job of choking the common-mode currents.

The advantage of putting the balun at the input is that the
differential-mode voltages and currents (the ones you want) are
well-controlled because of the constant 50-ohm impedance.  The DM
current or voltage at the output can be much higher, depending on the
load impedance.  Of course, the common-mode current and voltage are the
same at the input and output, but even so the worst-case stress on the
balun should be less when it is at the input.

The disadvantage of putting the balun at the input is that none of the
tuner circuitry can be grounded.  For example, the control shafts of the
variable capacitors have RF voltage on them, so the knobs must be
isolated.  If it is an automatic antenna tuner, that is less of a
problem.

Bottom line?  The ARRL is not necessarily "wrong" to put the balun at
the tuner input.  It's just a matter of whether you think the lower
worst-case current/voltage on the balun is worth the hassle of floating
the tuner ground.

Alan N1AL