But an instrument tuned to A440 is just one of many possible tunings.  There's
nothing inherently "pure" about any note on the common scale.  I suppose an
organ in Silberman or Mean Tone (some comma) temperaments with A up or down a
step or two (pretty typical) would drive you crazy?  As would many other
instruments not tuned to Kammerton.  Easy enough to live with -- even if you
suffer from perfect pitch :-)  And mean tone is soooooo much more pleasant (as
long as you're not in a bad key.

So how about making the sidetone pitch tuning really interesting  -- say, Mean
Tone, 5th comma or Kernberger III  :-)))

Grant/NQ5T