Hi Ed,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you; I flew to HS over the weekend
until the end of the year for vacation, so I was not reading the reflector.

I prefer to always have CAT available on both ends, i.e. on both K3's in
this case. Since the serial cable is connected on each end from the K3's
serial connector to COM2 of the RRC, this would normally make CAT
unavailable without a trick.

In this case, I just set the radio side RRC COM1 to "Mode-7, CAT to COM2
(local and remote)", and on the control RRC to "Mode-6, CAT to COM2
(local)". What this does is allows one to connect to the K3 CAT over the
radio RRC's COM1 with a serial cable, which in turn passes the CAT data
to the control RRC, where you can also connect CAT in parallel by using
its COM1 (either serial cable, or USB cable if it is set to "on"). You
can then use any logging/contest program you wish on either end, even
both simultaneously.

I also use this trick on several RemoteRig installations I have made
with other rigs to sync up with amplifiers, etc. This of course kills
COM1 for other use, but there are other serial servers or other means
that one may use for these devices.

If you have any further questions, just let me know.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN