Hi Ed,

Thanks for letting us know about your experiences with the Elecraft Twin
firmware.

As you know, I have been testing this for a couple of months now and
have been very impressed. There are a couple of bugs on the K3 firmware
side that I am sure will be resolved soon, but this is not top
priority.....we are all waiting for the KX3 firmware to be completed! ;-)

The details about the cables is actually well documented in the
RemoteRig manual; there are schematics for all the cables in that
section. Of course, someone may of course choose to buy a cable set, but
you can make your own if you wish. The most important custom cable is
the one that allows powering-on the remote K3 when you power-on locally,
since the K3 does not allow one to turn it on by using a CAT command.

Where I disagree with you is your comment about having to set COM1 to
USB. I have never experienced a  need to do so, and indeed have none of
my serial ports set to USB mode (although of course I could switch COM1
to USB for CAT if I wanted to).

I run COM2 as "logical parallel with COM0" as per the manual, as well as
COM1 in mode-6 (CAT to COM2). This allows one to use CAT both on the
remote PC without any wiring change when operating locally, as well as
CAT over the remote RRC. Of course, then you can't use COM1 for rotor or
other control, but there are other solutions for that.

The K3/0 will be a killer for high-performance remote stations......the
current most popular rig with a separate control head used by RemoteRig
installations is the TS-480. The Elecraft solution will allow the same
type of flexible (hardware based) experience for multiple remote users,
by sharing one fully equipped K3 at relatively low cost per user, but
providing significantly better performance than the TS-480 provides.

Anyone that is interested in remote operation using a hardware radio
panel interface should be very excited about this new offering from
Elecraft and Microbit.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN