Well ... the P3 is self-contained.  I bought mine as a toy ... Andrea
had been spending a lot on her hobby [needlepoint, about as expensive as
ham radio], and my radio-account balance was making it into 4-digits.
We have an equal-hobby allowance policy.  What I found was that it is
way more than a toy.  3 examples, there are more:

1.  Go split, put VFO A on DX, see pileup, put VFO B somewhere on pile,
pile disappears, DX replies to someone .... now, watch pile area.  If
you're even slightly lucky, exactly one signal will appear.  Put VFO B
on him, at the DX's "TU", call.  It's almost too easy.  So far, it has
changed DXing for me, but of course with my DXCC totals, practically all
of them are new ones. :-)

2.  CQ rate in a contest falls unacceptably low, decide to S&P, just
watch the screen for signals and pick them off rather than tune down the
band ever so slowly, much of which will be dead at any given time as you
pass it.

3.  Looking for a CQ frequency?  They easily show up on the screen.  Put
marker on it, tap SELECT, and you're there.

I suppose a bigger monitor has it's value, I don't have room for one.
But to write-off the entire P3 over the VGA output seems a little harsh.
  It has added a lot of value I didn't expect to my operating.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org