Greetings,

As others have stated well, there are as many objectives for the KX3 and
FT-817 as there are users.

For me, the KX3 fills the bill that multiple rigs have filled in the past.
I use a KX1 on the trails here in the Rockies.  It's a fantastic radio and I
love using it.   I picked up an FT-817 two years ago to round out the bands
and modes I didn't have with the KX1.   It was nice having SSB and 6M, for
example.  The SSB was particularly nice when I had non-ham friends with me.
Their CW was poor :-).   With SSB, they could participate (and maybe get
interested in the hobby?).   But I always used the KX1 when I could because
of its vastly superior currently draw.

Enter the KX3.  For me, it was better in a number of ways for my situation.
- small and easier than taking two radios
- lighter than the FT-817 alone
- built in antenna tuner.  I carried a T-1 for use with the FT-817
- PSK31 and RTTY without taking another device like a netbook.  A great,
great plus.

So I will use the KX3 as my one and only in the field from now on (well,
after it's delivered).  I already sold my FT-817.  And who knows, maybe I'll
get the 100W amp/tuner thingy as a backup for or second station to my K3
/P3.

72, 73 & happy trails,

Shel   KF0UR