Yes, I think you have missed the meaning of "nominal"
Let me put it this way - the "nominal 40 meter band" can refer to any
frequency between 7.000 and 7.200 MHz (we in the US will extend that to
7.300 MHz).

Likewise, nominal 3.5mm can range from 0.125 to 0.140 inches, and a
"nominal 1/8 inch" can refer to the same range.
We do not live in an "exact" world, every physical thing has tolerances.
Ask a machinist to build you something without tolerance specifications,
and he will tell you that it cannot be done.  How tight the tolerances
can be held to is a sign of the quality of the product.  Those parts
with tighter tolerances cost more.  That is why 1% resistors cost more
than 5% resistors.

73,
Don W3FPR