Unfortunately, one has to be cautious of common "technical slang" in an
international community.  Yes, common in US machinist's talk is for a
'mil' to equal 0.001 inch.  I am not certain of the origin and even
though I looked it up at Wikipedia, I still don't have any answer to why
'thou' is equal to 'mil' (even though I use and understand that unit
myself).

73,
Don W3FPR