When the sun rose today and it seems that my K3 decided to put some hum on my
audio.  During a quick SSB contact tonight on 80 meters I was told there was
hum on my audio.  This surprised me because yesterday I was involved in two
different SSB QSOs where I was particularly interested in audio reports because
I had just put the KPA500 on the air and wanted to know how it sounds.  The
audio reports yesterday, two different QSOs, were excellent.  In fact one
person wanted to know the rig because he said it sounded exceptional.

Well, tonight, I get a report of what sounds like (the other guy reported) 60
cycle hum on my audio.  Now, absolutely NOTHING is different from yesterday,
same configuration and all.  So, I am thinking maybe it has something to do
with the KPA500.  So, I put that in Standby and the hum is still there on the
audio.  The mic is the MH2 hand mic plugged into the front of the K3.

So, I switch to my Yamaha CM500 headset and mic plugged into the rear of the
K3.  No hum on that.  So, the hum seems to do with the MH2 or maybe the front
panel connection or something else.

Does anyone know of what would cause this sudden thing and where I might go to
scope out the problem?  I would be more suspicious if it were some rig that was
new to me, or some mic that was new or something.  But, it is not new and until
now I have always had excellent reports.  Like I said, yesterday the KPA500 was
put on the air for the first time but the reports were excellent reports on
audio, this problem appeared today in fact, about 30 minutes ago.  I turned the
rig on at 6:15 PM and had the first QSO where the hum was reported at 6:25 PM.

73, phil, K7PEH