From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Phil Hystad
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 12:54 PM
To: j...@audiosystemsgroup.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Hum on Audio...

Jim,

Well, I would call it mostly a buzz.  Also, the only near magnetic field of
the KPA500 power transformer is off, I mean powered off and unplugged, so
that does not seem to be the problem.

I just ran another test with everything disconnected, including ground and
coax.  With the K3 in TEST mode, key-down on the mic still produces the hum.
I double checked the grounds.  I did this because if I were to touch
anything metal on the k3, the metal part of the PL259 or the ground strap,
the hum is damped quite a bit to almost insignificant.  It seems that if my
rig were already well grounded this would not happen so I am curious if this
is something I would normally expect.

I will experiment with the TXEQ but this is a real puzzle I would like to
solve, not merely erase it.

73, phil

On Jan 13, 2012, at 9:37 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 1/13/2012 9:20 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> Unfortunately, it is in both mics but not as strong in the Yamaha CM500
mic as in the MH2 but it is present.