Ron,

OK, now it appears I was mistaken when I said that that the hum was in both
mics.  I think I flubbed something up in my previous test due to the way that
the macros are assigned to keys which led me to thinking that the hum occurred
in both mics.   But, I learned something in this...

One, don't try to use one of your macro assigned keys (in my case M2 and M1)
while in the menu because that merely reassigns the key to the new menu entry.
I made this mistake several times this morning.  But, when I discovered it and
then reset my macro definitions, I rediscovered that the HUM occurs in the
front panel MH2 hand held mic only.  I did this test several times to make sure
I was not confusing things.

I discovered something else that I did not know before.  PTT is actuated by any
of the methods of PTT.  So, when I thought I had the headphones CM500 mic
enabled I used my foot switch for push to talk and since that worked for some
dumb reason I was thinking I had successfully switched from front panel to rear
panel.  But, I had not.  I also discovered that I could use the hand mic (front
panel) PTT switch even though my rear panel mic was being used.  Now, after I
discovered this, I realize that it is obvious but something that lead to my
confusion.

So, the problem occurs on the FRONT PANEL mic only and not the rear panel.
And, the problem occurs when the K3 is in TOTAL isolation from all AC sources
except for possibly me.  I mean, I am holding the mic but then I don't think
that is a cause of the hum because I tried it with a insulated hand and it
still caused the hum on the front panel mic.

I doubt that this is caused by wall-outlet type AC because I have erased all AC
for some of my tests.  And, besides, this problem seemed to occur ....

OK, while writing that last sentence something occurred to me.  Another change
I had made on Wednesday after I had my good audio reports on the MH2 front
panel mic was that I set the configuration for the band specific power levels
to work with the KPA500.  So, I just now went to test the mic and change that
setting around but the hum is gone.

I repeat, the hum is gone from the front panel mic.   I now can't test the band
specific power menu setting because I have no problem.

But, I have a suspicion as to the cause now and I am going to do some other
experiments.

73, phil