I've received emails replies (direct and otherwise) that, for me, indicate
that I should elaborate/clarify what I am referring to.

Let's assume that you have a 2.7 and 2.1 roofing filter.

If you set up your "narrower" SSB filter according the the manual, which is
what the majority of K3 ops do, as you transition from, 2.7 to 2.1 using
the width "knob," you are doing two separate, but linked things.  First,
you are reducing the DSP BW.  Sync'ed to that (you have no choice without
manual intervention, ie "faking out" the K3), as you get to 2.1 kHz in the
DSP BW, you simultaneously switch from the 2.7 to the 2.1 roofing filter.

Unless you "unhook" this coupling between the DSP BW and the Roofing Filter
BW, you simply cannot "tell" which one is influencing what you hear (what I
called "feel").  So when you get down to 2.1 (from 2.7) are you
appreciating the impact of the DSP or the roofing filter - or maybe both?
How would you know?

I am saying that unless you are operating in extremely crowded band
conditions (not with just one "interfering, very near-by station") you are
appreciating the impact due to the DSP BW and certainly NOT the roofing
filter.

It is possible to manually intervene to alter (even temporarily "turn off")
the (point of) sync between the DSP BW and the roofing filter (narrower)
BW.  And I am saying that unless you actually do this "de-linking," that
you won't be able to know/confirm the true source of what you are hearing /
feeling.  I'm betting that for the vast majority, especially non-contesters
and non-160 serious DXers, what you hear is due to the DSP BW.

The roofing filters are used for reducing IMD.  A receiver with poor IMD
will experience "phantom signals" due to the mixing of other very strong
signals (multiple) on the band and these phantom signals can potentially
cover up real, but weak, signals.  You can usually identify such IMD as
received "squeaks, pops, whines, groans, etc."  The band will sound like it
is covered with garbage - even somewhat "musical.  The addition of the
appropriate roofing filter can reduce or eliminate this.  This is esp true
(for me) on CW and especially (for me) on the low bands (lots of very
strong signals) during a contest.  In "the old days," I've had many
receivers that would simply collapse under the strain.  It made tuning
across the band painful and arduous when trying to pick out weaker signals.
After hours and hours of this, it is very fatiguing.  I use the 5 pole
500hz filter on CW for both of my K3s.  Is it "wrong" to get a narrow
filter?  Of course not.  But unless you are planning on operating in the
midst of multiple, super strong signals, then I do not see much "logic" in
getting a narrower CW filter...and certainly not a narrower SSB filter for
SSB use.

At least on CW, you can fit another signal inside the passband (very rare)
when going from 500 to 200hz, but on SSB, going from 2.7 to 2.1?  No way
that will "fit another signal" in that delta (which is half of the
difference or just 300hz.).

Now, if you have the sub-receiver and want to "match" filters, then I see
nothing wrong with buying one of the narrower (or even wider) SSB filters.
But that would be motivated by a different reason.

If you're spending money frugally or even just "being thrifty," (however
you want to define that) you can stick with the 2.7 stock filter.  If money
isn't an issue (the cost isn't that much different), you sure can't be
"hurt" by getting a narrower SSB filter, except as cited by others, when it
comes to "ease" of tuning in a station (though I have never experienced
such difficulty).  Lots of folks simply like to "load up" the open the
slots.  That is yet another motivation...not much to do with operating.

Hope this helped to clarify what I was trying to get across.

de Doug