I have both a K1 and K2, though I have very little experience with the K2,
having just finished it in the last couple weeks.

One of the issues I'd be thinking about is the difficulty of swapping filter
boards. If you buy a 4-band K1 you can't get 80M or 160M on it. So if you
want those bands you'll have to build a separate 2-band filter board. It's
not hard to switch the boards when you want to switch bands, but neither is
it fun. You have to remove the top, remove the ATU, remove the filter board,
put in the new board, reattach the ATU, and reattach the cover. Then go to
the menu and tell it what bands you just installed. It's time-consuming
enough that I never do it.

It's best not to overlap bands on more than one filter board (say, an 80/40
2-band board and a 40/30/20/15 4-band board). If you do that, you have to
recalibrate 40m each time.

So all of the above argues for the K2 if you're a band-switcher. I hang out
on 40 and 20 so the K1 works fine for me.

The K2 has 4 CW filters instead of 3 like the K1. While the K2 has variable
rate tuning, the K1 only covers 80 KHz so it's no big deal to spin from one
end of the band to the other. (You can configure it for 150 KHz but either
way 10 turns gets you to the other end of the band.)

The K2 requires a bigger power supply than the K1. My little 3 amp Radio
Shack supply works great on the K1. The K2 at full power pulls the voltage
down too much. Not a problem in my case as I'm building the KPA100 and just
ordered a 30 amp power supply.

Either way you'll have a great radio and a lot of fun building.

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966
K2 #4941
KPA100 passed initial tests today; on to part II.