David,

If you want to experiment, I would suggest the K2 rather than the K1 - the
K1 being more compact is more difficult to find 'handles' to the parts you
want to experiment with while the basic K2 has lots of 'wide open space' (if
you add all the options, it does get tight, but you said you wanted a
'stripped down model'.

The base K2 is relatively straightforward in both the transmit and receive
signal paths - the complications of the firmware is in the control arena,
and if you wish to experiment with the control sections, I will alter my
recommendation - I figured your 'experimenting would likely be in the
transmit or receive paths.

73,
Don W3FPR