I have a ham friend who lives in a studio apartment on the 13th floor.
If he had a balcony he could attach a whip to the railing, but ND.  It's
a steel-frame building so indoor antennas are pretty useless.  For
someone like him I think a remote station would be a godsend.

Some years ago, a local ham here in Santa Rosa who lived in a condo
installed his ancient, rack-mounted Collins crystal-controlled CW
transmitter at my QTH, connected to a dipole well up in the air.  The
control unit had a touch-tone decoder so he could access it via
telephone, key the rig, and select one of two crystals.  40 meters only.
But it allowed him to get on the air with a decent signal using a
receiver and random wire antenna located at his condo.  Full break in
too!

Alan N1AL