Although I've never had to deal with an HOA, I lived for thirty years in
a neighborhood that "frowned" upon any kind of tower, and the lot was
small enough that I didn't want one to dominate everything anyway.  I
worked over 300 countries with simple homebrew verticals and had lots of
fun doing so, but for you or anyone else to tell me that I should just
be content to live with those restrictions is beyond your pay grade.

Antenna restrictions are not the only limitation some folks have to live
with.  Local QRN can be a real issue for some, and trust me ... it is a
LOT more fun to be able to hear stations than it is not to hear them.
Ask any contester how much fun it is to endlessly call stations only to
have most of your RF end up as heat loss in the ground or a nearby building.

I now have a tower with excellent antennas on a nice hillside lot.  Very
few people get to enjoy what I experience during a contest, where I can
run a frequency for hours and not have to rely solely on S&P.   Remote
operation potentially gives some folks that opportunity and I can't see
a thing wrong with it.   Joe said it "smells" and I'm just really
curious why.

Dave   AB7E