It's all relative to how to spend what dollars one has. For me, if money was no
concern, I might have a mega KW Alpha sitting on my desk. But I don't have that
kind of money, nor the additional dollars to run a dedicated 240V line to the
shack. With the dollars I don't spend on a 1,500 watt amp, I can wait for the
KAT500 Auto Tuner and get a 500 watt station that plays very well with my
all-band, 600-ohm ladder line fed doublet. (And still run it off the existing
117V line in the shack.) Folks going from a 1,500 watt station to a 500 watt
station probably will see the difference in a negative light. But I, like a lot
of others, went from a 100 watt station up to a 500 watt station. BIG
improvement. :-) :-)

Jim / W6JHB