Wow! My thanks to all for the plentyful response.

It turned out eventually that the problem was insufficient delay between
sending a request for data (e.g. FA;) and reading the response from the
serial port. The FT847/FT857 needs a delay of about 2ms, the K3 needs
about 50ms minimum. I increased the delay to usleep( 50000 ) after the
write() to the serial port and all is well now. This delay AFAIT is not the
delay in the response of the K3 (I have set a delay of 500ms in the

serial port attributes) but time needed by the K3 perhaps to process the
request for data and fill in its output buffer.

Anyhow, it all works well now. As far as Hamlib is concerned, my personal
preference to programing is to avoid as far as possible dependency on
other programs or libraries, even though they may offer convenience and
labor saving. But there are other advantages sometimes, originally I used
the fftw2 lib to produce the waterfall, but it added 500kb to the binary and
was much more powerful than needed. I now use a very simple fft of my
own, which is table-based and uses only integer arithmetic. Its a total of
about 80 lines, including comments!

Regards Neoklis - Ham Radio Call 5B4AZ
QTH Locator KM64KR
Website: http://www.qsl.net/5b4az/